Improv Quilting Workshop

/
0 Comments
I've never been to a quilting workshop before, so this really set the bar high!

Tonya Ricucci of UnRuly Quilting led us through an improv round robin workshop today at the ultra cool General Provision. There were 14 of us (almost all members of the South Florida Modern Quilt Guild). We started by creating a block out of our own fabric, including a piece of our "signature fabric". I chose a deep green with gold crosses, which you will see hiding in the following pictures. We were given 20 minutes to cut, piece, and iron. Then, we swapped! This pattern continued 8 more times. Here are some of the blocks I made.

This block below was for Kate Yates (of Thread Everywhere) who started her block with strata. So I tried to continue with that theme. I think it turned out cool!

This was the only block that had black fabric in it and I really like that.

A block with mostly greens.

This is definitely a sherbet block. You can't really tell from the picture but this quilter's fabrics were all very saturated and bright colors. Very fresh and fun to work with.

My block made with Allison's fabric pieces. She gave me a piece of that groovy brown and cream fabric from Birch Fabrics Ipanema line! I immediately coveted it when I saw it in her basket. Thanks Allison! (Side note: her fabric pull was cohesive with Browns, oranges, cream, white, and blues. My signature fabric in green was the only fabric that stood out when her blocks were all together. That's the interesting part of a round robin- you're going to end up with other peoples' fabrics in your quilt. And you just have to go with it!)

My favorite block of the day! I wanted to keep it and not give it back to its owner. Oh well...

When the rotating was complete, this is what I received.

I'm going to have a fun time putting all the blocks together. I think I'll make a few more blocks and use scrap pieces to even out some of the sides. Overall, what an awesome experience! I would definitely do that again. 


You may also like

No comments: